Powers of REC
The REC shall be accountable to the PEC for its functioning.
21.10 The powers of the REC are those as may be delegated to it by the PEC. In addition, the REC may, subject to the directions and instructions of the PEC, exercise the following powers:
- Meet as soon as possible after its election to elect the Regional Working Committee and thereafter meet as and when necessary but at least once a month;
- Carry out the policy and programme of the ANC in the Region and do all things necessary to further the interests, aims and objectives of the Organisation;
- Carry out the decisions and instructions of the Provincial Conference, the Provincial General Council, the PEC, the Regional Conference and the Regional Council;
- Provide broad political and organisational perspectives to the Regional Working Committee. It shall further receive reports, supervise the work of, and delegate such functions to the RWC, as it considers it necessary;
- Manage and control the funds and assets of the ANC in the Region;
- Submit reports to the PEC, the Regional Conference and the Regional General Council, as often as is required, on the state of the Organisation, the financial position of the Region, and such other matters as may be specified;
- Request and receive reports from the Branches and other substructures in the Region;
- Supervise and direct the work of the ANC and all its organs in the Region, including the ANC local government caucuses; and
- Recommend to the PEC the suspension or dissolution of a BEC, a Zonal Committee or a Sub-Regional Committee.
- The REC may co-opt no more than 2 (two) persons, in order to provide for a balanced representation that reflects the true character of the South African people.
- In accordance with Rule 6 above, not less than 50% (fifty per cent)of the directly elected and co-opted members of the REC must be women.
- The REC may invite any ANC member in good standing to attend its meetings. The number of invitees shall be limited by the REC. An invitee may be given a specific assignment by the REC, but may not speak on behalf of the REC. An invitee may speak or participate at such meeting, but may not vote.
<- Back to Top
THE REGIONAL WORKING COMMITTEE
- The Regional Working Committee (RWC) shall consist of the Chairperson, Deputy Chairperson, Secretary, Deputy Secretary and Treasurer of the Region and not less than one quarter of its directly elected members plus officials, including the Chairperson or Secretary of the ANC Veterans’ League, the ANC Women’s League and the ANC Youth League in that Region. The REC shall elect the RWC from among the directly elected additional members of the REC.
The RWC shall:
- Carry out decisions and instructions of the NEC, PEC, REC, the Regional Conference and the Regional General Council;
- Conduct the current work of the ANC in the Region and ensure that Branches and all other ANC structures, such as municipal council caucuses, carry out the decisions of the ANC; and
- Submit a report to each REC meeting.
Meetings and representation
- The RWC will meet as and when necessary but at least every two weeks.
- 21.16 In accordance with Rule 6 above, not less than 50% (fifty per cent) of the members of the RWC must be women.
- The RWC may invite any ANC member in good standing to attend its meetings. The number of invitees shall be limited by the RWC. An invitee may be given a specific assignment by the RWC, but may not speak on behalf of the RWC. An invitee may speak and participate at such meeting for the purpose for which he or she was invited, but may not vote.
<- Back to Top
Each Region shall hold a Regional Conference once every 3 (three) years.
- The Regional Conference shall be composed of:
- Voting delegates as follows:
At least 90% (ninety per cent) of the delegates at the Conference shall be from Branches in the Region, elected at properly constituted Branch General Meetings. The number of delegates per Branch shall be in proportion to their paid up membership, provided that each Branch in good standing shall be entitled to at least 1 (one) delegate.
- All members of the Regional Executive Committee shall attend ex-officio as full participants in and as delegates to the Conference.
- The remainder of the voting delegates at Conference shall be from among members of the BECs, the ANC Veterans’ League, the ANC Youth League and the ANC Women’s League, as allocated by the REC.
(ii) Non voting delegates
The REC may invite individuals, who have made a special contribution to the struggle or who have special skills or experience, to attend the Conference. In addition, the REC shall permit representation as non-voting delegates to structures, which do not have the minimum requirement to form a Branch.
The Regional Conference shall:
- Promote and implement the decisions and policies of the PGC, the PEC and the PWC;
- Receive and consider reports by the Regional Executive Committee, which shall include the Chairperson’s address, the Secretary’s report, which shall include a report on the work and activities of the ANC Veterans' League, the ANC Women's League and the ANC Youth League in the Province, and the Treasurer’s report;
- Elect the Regional Chairperson, Deputy Chairperson, Secretary, Deputy Secretary, Treasurer and 20 (twenty) additional members who shall hold office for 3 (three) years. In addition the Chair and Secretary of the ANC Veterans’ League, the ANC Women's League and the ANC Youth League in that Region shall be ex-officio members of the Regional Executive Committee. A person must have been a member of the ANC for at least 5 (five) years before he or she can be nominated to a Regional Executive Committee of the ANC. The Regional Secretary shall be a full-time functionary of the ANC.
- Each Branch in good standing within a Region shall be entitled to send delegates to the Regional Conference in proportion to its members.
- A member elected to the REC shall resign from any position held in a lower structure in the ANC.
- There shall be at least one Regional Council Meeting in the course of each year with each Branch being entitled to send at least one delegate. Additional Regional Council meetings may be convened by the Regional Executive Committee or the PEC or at the request of at least one third of the delegates
<- Back to Top
The Chairperson is the political head and chief directing officer of the ANC and the leader of the house at Regional Conference or Regional General Council meetings. He or she shall:
- Make pronouncements for and on behalf of the REC outlining and explaining the policy or attitude of the ANC on any question;
- Present to the Regional Conference and Regional General Council a comprehensive statement of the state of the nation and the political situation generally; and
- Under the overall supervision of the REC, orient and direct the activities of the ANC.
- Remain the custodian of the policies adopted and decisions taken by the Regional Conference and Regional General Council ad ensure that all organs of the ANC implement decisions taken by the Regional Conference, Regional General Council, REC and the RWC and operate within the parameters of policy set out by the Regional Conference, NGC and the REC;
- Preside over meetings of the Regional Conference, the Regional General Council, the REC and the RWC;
- Carry out such additional tasks or functions, as are entrusted to him or her, by the Conference, Council, REC or RWC.
- The Deputy Chairperson shall assist the Chairperson, deputise for him or her when necessary and carry out whatever functions that are entrusted to him or her by the Regional Conference, the Regional General Council, the Chairperson, the RWC or the REC. He or she shall be an ex-officio member of the RWC.
- In the event of death or permanent incapacity of the Chairperson and the Deputy Chairperson, the REC shall as soon as possible appoint an Acting Chairperson until such time as the Regional Conference meets. Until such appointment is made, the provisions of section 16.6.7 of the ANC Constitution shall apply.
The Secretary is the chief administrative officer of the ANC. He or she shall:
- Communicate the decisions of all Regional structures of the ANC on behalf of the REC;
- Keep the minutes of the Regional Conference, the Regional General Council, the REC, the RWC, as well as other records of the ANC;
- Conduct the correspondence of the REC and the RWC and send out notices of all conferences and meetings at the Regional level;
- Convey the decisions and instructions of the Regional Conference, the Regional General Council, the REC and the RWC to the Regional executive committees and see to it that all units of the ANC carry out their duties properly.
- Prepare annual reports on the work of the REC and the RWC and such other documents which may, from time to time, be required by the REC and the RWC;
- Present to the Regional Conference and Regional General Council a comprehensive statement of the state of the organisation and the administrative situation of the ANC;
- In the absence of the Chairperson and the Deputy Chairperson, the Secretary General shall assume the functions of the Chairperson.
16.8 All departments shall report on their activities and be accountable to the Secretary General.
- The Deputy Secretary General shall assist the Secretary, deputise for him or her, when necessary, and carry out the functions entrusted to the Secretary by the Regional Conference, the Regional Council, the REC, or RWC and shall be an ex-officio member of the RWC.
The Treasurer is the chief custodian of the funds and property of the ANC. He or she shall:
- Receive and bank all monies on behalf of the REC and shall, together with any 2 (two) members of the REC, open and operate a banking account;
- Keep such books of account as may be necessary to record accurately the financial position of the ANC;
- Submit to the Regional Conference a report showing the Income and Expenditure Account and Balance Sheet of the ANC for the period since the previous Regional Conference, and shall submit periodic reports to the REC and the RWC;
- Be responsible, with the Regional Finance Committee, for working out and executing plans for fund raising; and
- Present to the Regional Conference and Regional General Council a comprehensive statement of the state of the finances of the ANC.
<- Back to Top